Saturday, September 8, 2012

Day 2 post-op......feeling pretty good!

Todd and I arrived at Kettering Hospital at 10:45am on Thursday. The next two hours were spent asking me lots of health questions and prepping me for surgery. Dr. Turner came in to see me before they took me back. We both smiled at each other and I told him I was so excited and held his hand with thankfulfulness. I think he knew. I was putting all my trust in him and was grateful for his skilled hands that he was about to perform on me. I silently said a prayer for him and for God to guide him during the surgery and to be with me. I was very much at peace. The anesthesiologist came in and introduced herself. She explained what she would be doing and told me I would have a breathing tube during the surgery. She asked me if I had any loose teeth and I told her, "No. I better not because I'm a dental hygienist!" We laughed. Within minutes, they were injecting the sleepy juice in my IV and getting ready to wheel me into the operating room. Todd and I kissed and said our I love you's. Before I knew it, I was out and in recovery! When they woke me up in recovery, I started bawling like a baby. At that moment, I was just feeling overwhelmed with gratitude for what I just received. I kept asking where Todd was. I just wanted to see his face. After a half hour, they wheeled me into the post-op recovery room where Todd was waiting for me. We immediately hugged. I was so glad to see him and I could see the relief on his face. I was amazed at how quickly they sent me home. I was in recovery for only an hour. I responded so well that they said I could go home. My Mom was waiting for me at home. It was so good to see her face. She came to stay the night with me since Todd had to work that evening. I was so grateful she nursed Andrew and I. Andrew had just broken his ankle in his football game a few days prior! My dad stopped by with my prescriptions so that Todd could get some rest before going into work.  I was glad to see him. Hannah got off the bus at 4:20pm and I was so glad to see her.  She was happy to see me and we immediately hugged. I love my girl. I knew she worried about me all day in school. I was anxious to see Matt after he got off work. He sent me a loving text message from school just as I was on my way to the hosptital. I appreciated that and it warmed my heart. My Mom took care of my family and fixed them dinner while I rested. I got sick once. I wasn't feeling too bad other than the really bad headache I had. I think it was because the head bandage was wrapped too tight. I slept on the couch because it felt better to stay propped up. I decided to try ice on my head and boy, did that really help. I woke up every three hours to take a pain pill because of my headache. The first time I woke up, I saw my Mom on the other couch sleeping ( I told her to sleep in Chris's room) and I tried to stay quiet while opening the pill bottle so I wouldn't wake her. But she woke up instinctively every time I woke up and brought me a fresh bag of ice each time. I was grateful she was with me all was nice to have my Mommy take care of me. :) I woke up in the morning. I felt well rested. My Mom said she felt like I slept well. I was still feeling groggy but more alert. My head still hurt but I wasn't queasy anymore. I felt well enough to stop the pain pills after only 16 hours and rely on just Tylenol. I was ready to get the bandage off (my doctor said I could take it off the next day) and I waited until Todd got home from work. Both Todd and my Mom took the bandage off. I immediately felt better once it was off. I was amazed at how clean the incision was and how very little my hair was shaved off. My Mom was in awe. My surgeon did an excellent job. I was very happy. I rested on the couch the rest of the day. My brother, Jeff came to visit me. He brought me chicken noodle was the only thing that tasted good at the moment. Todd's mom came over early in the afternoon after my nap. She brought me flowers. My Mom left in the evening after Todd woke up. I was glad she stayed with me. My Dad visited me late in the evening. I fell asleep early at 10:30pm. I only woke up twice in the night to take Tylenol. I slept well. I woke up this morning feeling much more alert. I was still a little groggy but much more alert. I was feeling very pleased with my progress! I have no pain in my ear at all. Just a nagging headache. My head feels tight where the incision is and I can feel the bump where the magnet is. My recovery is going much better than I ever expected. I know it is attributed to myself getting healthy in the months prior to my surgery with running and eating healthy. Todd made me my favorite ginger tea and eggs just the way I like it for breakfast. It felt good to start feeling some normalcy. I took a shower. Then Todd washed my hair carefully not to get my ear or incision wet while I leaned my head back over the bathtub. I felt 100 percent better. I'm supposed to take it easy for the next two weeks but I wanted to get some fresh air on this beautiful day. I asked Todd to walk me to the end of the driveway and back. He held my hand the entire time and I appreciated him just being there for me. After that, I sat on my patio for a few minutes by myself basking in the sun. I love the warmth of the sun on my face. I sat there just really appreciating everything in my life and the gift from God that I received. I have completed this leg of my journey and now I just need to heal and take care of myself. I will wait patiently until the 28th.....when my ear is "turned on"!
Getting my sleepy juice before surgery
My incision

After washing my hair! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment